The HG Gundam Age Adele kit was my first kit from the Gundam universe and also the very first model kit I painted. It was actually the first thing I tried an airbrush on as well. So I guess it's kind of a special kit in my Gundam hobby history.
I bought it because of the cool generic look it has, and I could see it being painted up in a million different ways. I think I actually first wanted it to be part of a Megami Device team, as the AI soldier of the group.
I remember buying it at a local anime store with my friend Stealth and going to have a burger afterward and discuss our purchases and thoughts on the new hobby we had begun together. We both enjoy traditional military paint schemes, and this lead me to deciding on a desert tan look.
This would be my first time painting any model since I used to play Warhammer and Warhammer 40k waaaaaaay back in the 90's. I wasn't sure what paint to buy, but luckily a Youtuber I followed had reviewed a new set of paint from AK interactive with the colors I had been aiming to use for my Adele. So I went out and got what I needed. I used Buff (RC014) and Pale Sand (RC018) for the main body and for the frame I used Gun Metal (RC 015). I used flat black for the visor, silver for dry brushing some highlights and some orange for the eyes. Forgot to mention that I primed it all grey first, using Mr.Color primer.
It was fun using the airbrush and learning about using thinner for paints and such. And I was amazed with how even the paint went on. Once the paint was complete, I used some Pledge floor cleaner to give it a protective clear coat as I had seen used in many youtube videos, and the I went on to putting on some Tamiya black panel lining along with some water slide decals from a Megami Device Grapple and Snipe kit.
I wanted the kit to look more detailed and also wanted to try out some weathering techniques, so I decided to first sponge dab some brown paint on in areas. This was trickier than I had imagined as different sponges can give you different looks, and the amount of pain was tricky to adjust and lay on where I wanted it. It looked decent to me, but still needed more. So I went ahead and got a bit carried away in places with Tamiya weather pigment. This stuff was easier to use than the sponge, and was a lot of fun. I managed to get some nice looking effects on the shield and other areas.
I was happy with how this kit turned out but I find you learn a lot when you first start out in any hobby. This kit taught me a lot about what changes to make going forward. I think I will add some brown wash to the panel lines to help make things pop a bit more at some point, and I also think should I return to do another tan paint scheme, I will look for a better contrast in colors, or maybe add a third accent color in to make it more interesting. Either way, things can only get better from here!